Mouth Cancer Screening
Oral Cancer Screening at Craigmillar Dental Centre
Did you know that there are approximately 5000 new cases of oral (mouth) cancer in the UK every year?
It’s a shocking statistic - and one that we would like to see drastically reduced. That's why Craigmillar dental centre is here to help you prevent this terrible disease with our free oral cancer screening. Simply call 0131 6617525 to book an appointment or find out more.
Oral cancer kills around 1500 people every year in the UK alone and, whilst there are many causes, the most common culprits are smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. So, what can be done to prevent this terrible disease? As already mentioned, reducing your nicotine and alcohol intake ought to be a massive priority. Another key prevention for oral cancer is regularly visiting your dentist. All of Craigmillar Dental Centre dentists and dental hygienist are trained to check and look out for any possible early signs of mouth cancer and are able to notice any changes that you may not be aware of. This is why it is so important to visit your dentist regularly.
Early signs of oral cancer can include:
- Mouth ulcers that do not heal within 3 weeks
- An unexplained lump in your mouth
- A white and red patch on the gums, tongue or lining of the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing or moving the jaw or tongue
- Numbness of the tongue, lips or areas of the mouth
- A feeling that something is caught in your throat
- A chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Swelling of the jaw that makes dentures uncomfortable or ill fitting
- Neck swelling
So, if you have any of the above symptoms or would simply like a dentist at Craigmillar dental centre to put your mind at ease, take advantage of our Free Oral Cancer Screening examination, which will ensure that you are left feeling informed and reassured.